In an unprecedented turn of events, a no-confidence motion against the Narendra Modi-led BJP government was moved and accepted today in the parliament(Lok Sabha).
Lok Sabha speaker said that the motion would be up for discussion on coming Friday.
Here’s some important facts that you must know.
5. Reaching out to the opposition today before the monsoon session, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had today said that his party was ready to discuss any issues of the opposition parties and lawmakers.
4. The no-confidence motion was moved by the Congress, Telugu Desam Party led by Chandrababu Naidu; and the Nationalist Congress Party of Sharad Pawar . Over 50 parliamentarians supported the motion.
3. The no-confidence motion doesn’t threaten the Modi government that enjoys a comfortable majority of over 273 MPs, far ahead of halfway mark.
2. The ex-ally of the BJP, TDP which has locked horns with the Modi government, had earlier too moved a no-confidence notice. This was during the earlier held budget session.
1. After speaker Sumitra Mahajan accepted the no-confidence motion, the BJPissued a three-line whip to its MPs asking them to be present in the Lok Sabha on Friday during the debate on no-confidence motion.